Fall Creek Suttlery
P.O. Box 92
Whitestown, Indiana 46075
(765) 482-1848 fax
Original CDV of Lieuts Davis and Holbrook at Camp "Lander"
Trying on Boots. CDV is contemporarily captioned-
"Sewn or Pegged"
Camp Lander was a Massachusetts Militia camp in what is now South Hamilton, Mass. It was named for Frederick West Lander, a Brigadier-General of Volunteers who was originally from Salem, Mass. General Lander was most famous as an explorer surveying transcontinental wagon routes in the 1850s. In the Civil War, he served as a brigade commander and division commander in 1861 and was severely wounded at Balls Bluff. He died of disease in what is now West Virginia in early 1862. The site of Camp Lander is now a town park, Pingree Park, on the north side of US Route 1A between Wenham and Hamilton, MA about 3 miles north of Salem.
My best guess as to who the two men in the photo are is that they are 2nd Lieutenant Andrew J. Holbrook, 29 of Cambridge, Mass. and 2nd Lieutenant Daniel W. Davis, 35 of Charlestown, Mass. Both men were mustered in to the 5th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Militia at Camp Lander on Sept. 16, 1862 to serve for 9 months, Lt. Holbrook in Company E and Lt. Davis in Company H. The 5th MVM served in the New Berne area of NC and mustered out of service in Boston on July 2, 1863
There were a number of lieutenants named Holbrook and Davis who served together in Mass. regiments during the war, but these are the only two who were mustered together at Camp Lander. The fact that they came from adjoining towns just north of Boston lends additional support for the possibility of them being friends before they enrolled.
Many Special thanks go to-
Pvt., Salem Zouaves
Co J, 8th MVM
For his research and the above information.
Shopping cart features added by Link Data Services
All info and pictures Copyright 2015 Fall Creek Corporation
Nothing can be copied without permission.
Copyright 2006 Fall Creek Corporation